Wednesday, October 31, 2012

C4K #7

Dr. Vitulli and Santoli: Eyes on Ireland

Drs. Vitulli and Santoli are attending a conference in Ireland. They have met people from places such as Chile, Italy, Germany, Canada, Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Zimbabwe and many other states in the United States.
 I read the blog post titled Now for the Conference.   The conference addresses more than traditional K-12 or higher education. Sessions also deals with different types of adult education like entrepreneurship and technical vocational training. Some of the presentations or as long as 90 minutes and some as short as 30 minutes.
Each day there is a different keynote presenter.
Monday the presenter was Dr. Cynthia Northington-Purdie, a psychologist and life coach with William Patterson University.  The presentation title was Evolution of Academic Integrity.  She talked about the concepts of cheating and plagerism being concrete and unambiguous.  She talked on the premise that we should consider if evolution of technology and information should cause us to rethink our concept of academic integrity.
I am sure this was an interesting conversation between conference attendees.  I believe we should take a look at how technology and the streams of information on the internet affect academic integrity. There is so much information available on someone's opinion , factual information and others just plain untrue stuff. Sometimes it's hard to tell which is which.The only real way to know is to research and research information to determine what is true and then read for content understanding and summarize including pertinent information. So where do you draw the line between summarizing and using pertinent content information in your writing?   Just my thoughts.
On Tuesday the keynote presenter was Dr. Richard Cooper, Director of Disability Services at Harcum College in Bryn Mawr, Pa. Dr. Cooper talked about how different some people perceive, process, and communicate information and what that means for their learning and instruction.  He shared information from his website: www.learningdifferences.com. The information on his website is applicable to students and adults.  He spoke a great deal about visual perceptions, processing and communicating.  Dr. Cooper prefers speaking about learning differently people rather than people  having learning disabilities.
I visited Dr. Cooper's website and found really good resources for use in all classrooms.  His website including resource information on  topics such as: Testing Anxiety, Professional Development, Alternative Math When Nothing Else Seems To Work, Characteristics of Learning Differences and many more.  It's full of good information. I especially like " If I Learn Differently, Why Shouldn't I Study Differently?"resource.  It makes sense that we teach to visual learners and auditory learners because this is how the students learn.  It also makes perfect sense that if students learn differently , why should we not modify the way we have them study for test differently. That makes perfect sense to me and I don't know why it had not been considered sooner.'  I am adding Dr. Cooper's website to my PLN because I know I will go back to it many times for many different reasons , one of those reasons being I saw myself in some of his descriptions.
I really  enjoyed reading the blog and I am glad it was assigned to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment